James (Jim) H. Slaughter
Greensboro NC Office
3623 N Elm Street
Greensboro, NC 27455
Jim Slaughter has been with Law Firm Carolinas since 2001 and serves as firm President. He regularly speaks on issues of real estate and community association law and has hundreds of HOA and condo articles. Jim was the first attorney in the Carolinas inducted as a Fellow into CAI’s College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL) and served as CCAL’s 2014 national President. He was also the first North Carolina attorney recognized by Best Lawyers in the category of “Community Association Law.” Since its inception Jim has served on the NC Bar Association’s Community Associations Committee is past President of the NC Chapter of the Community Associations Institute.
Jim is also a Certified Professional Parliamentarian-Teacher, Professional Registered Parliamentarian, and past President of the American College of Parliamentary Lawyers (ACPL). He has served as Parliamentarian to many of the largest associations in the country, including the AFL-CIO, NEA, AFT, ANA, LIUNA, SEIU, AFSCME, UFCW, NATCA, and others. Jim is author of four books on association meeting procedure, including two updated for the latest Robert's Rules of Order: Robert's Rules of Order Fast Track (a quick go-to guide that provides details on the most used motions, appropriate informal procedures for smaller boards, and general advice for shortening meetings) and Notes and Comments on Robert’s Rules, Fifth Edition (a user’s guide to Robert’s Rules that uses questions-and-answers to cover the most misused and asked-about provisions, including those that apply to larger membership meetings.) Publisher’s Weekly has chosen both as “Editor’s Picks,” which is “a book of outstanding quality.” Reviews can be found at Reviews are in for New Parliamentary Procedure Books! Many charts and articles on Robert’s Rules of Order and meeting procedure can be found at the firm's parliamentary Website at www.jimslaughter.com.
In addition to his professional work, Jim has led many civic and charitable organizations. He has been recognized by the Bar Association most every year for his pro bono activities and by NC Lawyers Weekly as a past Leaders in the Law Honoree. The Governor of North Carolina has awarded Jim the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, one of the state's highest civilian honors. In 2023, Jim was recogonized by Lawyers Weekly in its initial class of eleven "NC Legal Icons."
Areas of Practice:
Community Association / Planned Community Law (Homeowner Association and Condominium Association Law); Condominium and Homeowner Association Mediation; Real Estate Litigation; Business Litigation; Parliamentary Law
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D.
- Order of the Barristers. Member, Holderness Moot Court Bench
- University of North Carolina National Moot Court Team
- University of North Carolina National Trial Competition Team
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., with Highest Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Harry S. Truman Scholar
- "AV" rated by Martindale Hubbell.
- Admitted to the North Carolina State Bar; Western and Middle Federal District Courts;
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Federal Circuits; and the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Real Estate Broker, North Carolina (since 1982).
- Certified Superior Court Mediator (since 1994).
- President, College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL), 2014; Board of Governors, 2010-2015.
- President, North Carolina Chapter, Community Associations Institute (CAI), 2016; Board of Directors, 2010-2016
- Fellow, College of Community Association Lawyers (CCAL).
- Member, NC Bar Association Community Associations Committee (since inception).
- Herb Falk Society Pro Bono Award from the Greensboro Bar Association (annual since inception).
- Distinguished Faculty, Community Association Law Seminar.
- Past President, American College of Parliamentary Lawyers.
- Certified Professional Parliamentarian-Teacher, American Institute of Parliamentarians.
- Professional Registered Parliamentarian, National Association of Parliamentarians.
- Author, Robert's Rules of Order Fast Track.
- Lead Author, Notes and Comments on Robert's Rules, Fifth Edition.
- Parliamentary Web Site: www.jimslaughter.com
- American Inns of Court (Master)
- Greensboro Bar Association (Past Director; Past Treasurer)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court Bar
Civic and Community Involvement:
- President, North Carolina Chapter, Community Associations Institute (CAI)
- President, Greensboro Historical Museum
- Chairman, National Conference for Community & Justice (NCCJ), Piedmont Triad
- Stated Clerk and Elder, First Presbyterian Church
- Board Member, Crescent Rotary Club
- Chairman, NC Democratic Party Council of Review
- Chairman, Ethics Committee, American Institute of Parliamentarians
- Chairman, Ethics Committee, National Association of Parliamentarians
- Member, Governor's Crime Commission
- President, Young Democrats of North Carolina
- Chairman, NC State Youth Council
- Vice Chairman, N.C. Youth Advisory Council
- Member, Juvenile Law Study Commission
- Member, N.C. Progress Board
- 2016 Leaders in the Law Honoree, NC Lawyers Weekly
- Named to "Legal Elite" by Business North Carolina magazine
- Order of the Long Leaf Pine
- Lawyers Weekly “2023 NC Legal Icons"