Joseph W. Thompson, IV
Amanda Miller, Joely Rouse
Charlotte NC Office
1927 South Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28203
Joe is an active member of the North Carolina, South Carolina, and Mecklenburg County Bars, with a primary focus in the areas of real estate, including residential and commercial closings for buyers, sellers, lenders, and developers. He further brings extensive litigation experience in the creditor (general and institutional) and mortgage servicing industries, having represented national financial institutions and some of the largest real estate developers, homebuilders, and title insurance companies in the Carolinas. He also has extensive experience in simple estate planning, landlord-tenant matters, and commercial and residential foreclosure and loan workouts.
He presents regularly to local and national real estate agencies and lenders, has been a member of various Mecklenburg County Bar committees during his career as well as mentoring for local middle school students. He asserts, as of press time, that he has managed teams responsible for nearly 20,000 real estate closings throughout the entireties of North and South Carolina as well as being an expert in those local nuances in various municipalities within the region, of which there are many that can trip up the practitioner who is not familiar.
Outside of the office, Joe is married with three young children and enjoys spending time with his family on the beaches of South Carolina.
Areas of Practice:
Commercial and Residential Real Estate, Foreclosure, Litigation
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA, 2002
- Carolina Business Institute, 2002
- Client representation in residential, commercial, and REO transactions
- Title searching, review, curative, and certification
- Contract drafting, review, and interpretation
- Estate planning, probate, corporate & business law, and civil litigation in State & federal courts in NC and SC
- Admitted to NC and SC state bars, and Federal District Courts for the Western District of North Carolina.
- State Bar of South Carolina, November 2005
- State Bar of North Carolina, September 2006
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2009
- LEED, Accredited Professional (First South Carolina licensed attorney to receive)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Creditor’s Bar Association
- National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys
Civic and Community Involvement:
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association (Bar Leadership Institute Committee, Social and Networking Committee, Law Day Committee, Lunch with a Lawyer Program, Young Lawyers Division)
- North Carolina Bar Association, South Carolina Bar Association (Wellness Task Force)
- North Carolina Creditor’s Bar Association (Membership Committee)
- Myers Park Presbyterian Church member
- Levine Children’s Hospital volunteer
- Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- YMCA basketball coach