Condominium & Homeowner Association Transition

by Jim Slaughter

We are often asked what types of documents an association MIGHT want after transition from a developer. What follows is an exhaustive list, beyond what will likely be provided or may even exist, for purposes of consideration. 

From Developer to Association:

Association Documents

  • Architectural Guidelines, Board Policies/Resolutions, Rules and Regulations
  • Deeds and plats to common areas
  • Governing Documents – Bylaws (current and past)
  • Governing Documents – Corporate Charter/Articles of Incorporation
  • Governing Documents – Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions (CCR’s)
  • Minutes book - membership meetings and board meetings
  • Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of owners
  • Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of mortgagees


  • Audits
  • Accounts payable ledgers and schedules
  • Accounts receivable ledgers and schedules
  • Bank reconciliation
  • Budgets
  • Certificates of Deposit
  • Charts of accounts
  • Checks
  • Expense analyses and expense distribution schedules
  • Financial statements
  • General ledger
  • Inventories of products, materials & supplies
  • Invoices from vendors
  • Invoices to customers
  • Notes receivable ledgers & schedules
  • Payroll records & summaries, including payments to pensioners
  • Replacement reserve records, including costs, depreciation reserves, depreciation schedules, blueprints & plans, estimated life of asset


  • Certificates of occupancy for common elements
  • Contracts
  • Correspondence
  • Employee personnel records
  • Insurance policies
  • Insurance records, accident reports, claims
  • Keys and combinations
  • Warranties


  • Statement of compliance with ordinances and governing documents
  • Confirmation from local authorities re: fire hydrants, etc.
  • Confirmation that emergency communications centers have mapped association
  • Statement of determination of public agency or utility responsible for lights/sewer

From Association to Developer:

  • Transfer of Special Declarant Rights document?
  • Transition Agreement?

Other Activities:

  • Organizational audits
    • Corporate audit
    • Governing document audit
    • Covenant enforcement audit
    • Physical and common elements audit
  • Engineer/contractor for inspection of common elements
  • Engineer/contractor for reserve analysis on common elements
  • Confirm that association owns common elements
  • Review/new reserve study
  • Review assessments and budgets
  • Evaluate contractors—insurance, management, landscape
  • Orientation—all aspects of Association’s operations
  • CAI ABC’s—“A Basic Course for Association Leaders”
  • Job description for Directors
  • Handbook for Directors, including governing documents
  • Recruit Directors from committees

Transition Checklist PDF

Articles are intended to provide general information and are not legal advice or a legal opinion. Specific questions should be directed to an attorney at Law Firm Carolinas or to another lawyer.

Professionalism at all levels is our hallmark.